The GAO’s Green Book –Video Course includes an online video and self study e-book for 4 hours of CPE credit.
The GAO Green Book sets standards for internal controls that align with the most popular control model in the United States, the COSO model. In this course, we use a simple case study to build controls from scratch. Along the way, we learn the five components of control and their seventeen underlying principles.
The Green Book is referenced inside the Yellow Book and in the Uniform Guidance. The new internal control requirements for performance auditors per the 2018 Yellow Book are discussed.
This course is filled with stories, analogies, and practical advice that brings the standards to life.
Course objectives include:
- Identify the purpose of the GAO’s Green Book
- Identify management’s responses to the identified risks
- Identify the reasons why most organizations do not achieve the ideal internal control structure described by the Green Book
- Identify differences between components of internal control
- Distinguish between the steps of a process and a control
- Define risk
- Rank risks in order of severity
- Recognize the differences between the magnitude and the likelihood of a risk
- Identify components of an internal control objective
- Identify relevant control activities for a control objective
- Identify attributes of quality information
- Identify questions that should be addressed when reporting to internal and external users
- Identify the differences between the two types of monitoring
- Define tone at the top
- Define the qualities of members of the oversight body
- Sequence the steps of developing an internal control structure
CPE Credit Hours: 4
NASBA Category of Study: Auditing (Governmental)
Program level: Basic
Advance preparation: None
Who should attend: Auditors
Instructional method: Video with online qualified assessment. QAS SS
Author: Leita Hart-Fanta, CPA, CGFM, CGAP
This course is also included in the Yellow Book Standards for Financial Auditors Bundle, the Yellow Book Standards for Performance Auditors Bundle, and the Internal Controls Bundle.
This course does qualify for the 24 hour Yellow Book CPE requirement.
Questions? You can find our FAQ here.
What People Say About This Course
“The internal control model has given me a whole new perspective on internal controls.” – CPA
“Learning more about the risk assessment will help me streamline my work.” – The GAO’s Green Book – Video Course Student
“It helped me to better reason through control concepts and situations.” – The GAO’s Green Book – Video Course Student
“I appreciated the ‘real-world’ applications to illustrate the concepts.” – The GAO’s Green Book – Video Course Student
“Leita’s stories and presentation add much to the understanding of the concepts.” – The GAO’s Green Book – Video Course Student
“Another great course. I will continue taking courses given by your organization and will recommend them to others.” – Federal Inspector General
“The instructor provided examples of events that made controls easier to understand.” – State Agency Auditor