$590 includes a terrific 2-day course for 16 hours of Governmental CPE
A logically organized report is a gift to the reader. In this course, you will learn how to create meaningful, concise reports based on compelling evidence. We will walk through major steps of the audit planning process to learn how to filter out irrelevant information and focus on what matters. Participants will learn how to create limited audit objectives which result in reasonable and supportable audit conclusions.
This class is beneficial for both new and experienced internal and legislative auditors. New auditors learn how to use the elements of a finding to structure their message. Experienced auditors learn how to set clear expectations, quickly review audit reports, and coach staff to improve their writing. The class is centered on the five elements of a finding, as required by the GAO’s Yellow Book and suggested by the Institute of Internal Auditors.
- Structure audit content in support of audit recommendations
- Create convincing, implementable, and auditable recommendations
- Generate concise and logical findings in an hour or less
- Choose the strongest content for your finding
- Decide how much detail to share in the report
- Create attention grabbing executive summaries easily
- Consider the necessity and usefulness of other sections of the audit report
- Sequence findings for maximum impact
- Evaluate statements of fact for evidential support
- Quantify findings
- Recognize dangerous tone and language
- Establish expectations and guidelines for creating a compelling finding
- Decide when to pursue the root cause
- Use a simple risk assessment model that considers inherent and control risk to filter out irrelevant findings
- Break down a broad audit subject
- Formulate a conclusion and recommendations
- Focus the report conclusion on a finite, answerable objective
Participants are asked to submit a recent report to Leita two weeks before the seminar. These reports will be used as examples during the course. All shared reports will be collected at the end of the seminar and destroyed to maintain confidentiality.
Recommended CPE credit: 16 hours
NASBA Category of Study: Auditing (Governmental)
Program level: Intermediate
Advance Preparation: None
Prequisites: More than one year of audit experience
Instructional method: Group live instruction
Instructor: Leita Hart-Fanta
Class Size Limit: 35
Who should attend: Internal and legislative auditors who write or review audit reports
Location: Maggiano’s, 10910 Domain Dr #100, Austin, TX 78759
Date: April 2 & 3, 2020
Registration & Full Breakfast – 8 a.m.
Course begins – 8:30 a.m.
Lunch (provided) – 11:30 a.m.
Day ends – 5:00 p.m.
Questions? You can find our FAQ here.